PRESENTING DR. TOY'S BOOKS
Dr. Toys Smart Play: How to Raise a Child With a High P.Q.*(Play Quotient)
Buy it online!
Stevanne Auerbach, Ph.D./ Dr. Toy
Director, The Institute for Childhood Resources, San Francisco, CA.
St. Martins Press, Griffin Trade Paperback, New York, February,1998.
Purchase on- line from Amazon Books, e-toys, or at your local favorite book or toy store.
- Written by a child development, psychology and education specialist with more than 25 years of experience Dr. Toys Smart Play helps parents learn about the importance of play and the role of toys and other children's products in their childs development.
- This book explains why play is essential in developing a well-rounded, resilient child and indicates the types of toys and playthings most valuable in supporting the childs fullest potential- mentally, physically, emotionally and socially.
- Dr. Toy helps parents understand the childs developmental stages and the P.Q.the Play Quotient. They learn why toys and playthings are important, how to be their childs "Play Tutor," how to help their child use toys wisely at each stage, plus what is safe and smart to purchase.
- Parents learn to appreciate why playing together helps to strengthen and improve parent-child relationships. Dr. Toy provides many practical ideas to enhance playtime, indoors and outdoors, for all children from baby to older children.
- Dr. Toys Smart Play is based on Dr. Auerbachs many years of training, experience with toys and childrens products and observations of thousands of children at play.
- Dr. Toy points out that parents are their childs first "Big Toy" and as such must teach them the skills necessary to learn and grow through play.
- This book, is a guide to selecting the best types of basic, beneficial products from among the many products offered at good childrens stores. Parents learn what to look for while observing their child at play, how to better understand the signs of readiness and when to introduce the right toy to facilitate optimal developmental skills and, of course, have fun.
- Dr. Toy's reports, Dr.Toys Best Toys and Products, and others are found free on the world wide Internet at http:drtoy.com visited by thousands of consumers daily. Her weekly column, Dr. Toy, for King Features Syndicate is distributed to 1,500 newspapers. With the book's release Dr. Toy will appear in the media, in selected book and toy specialty stores, at conferences and in other locales.
©1998, Stevanne Auerbach, Ph.D./Dr. Toy, San Francisco, Ca.
MORE ABOUT DR TOY'S SMART PLAY
- For more information write to Dr. Toy via e-mail:
- Foreign Rights handled by Sebastian Literary Agency, San Francisco, California.
- Dr. Toy available for interviews, presentations and in-store book signings (toy, book, children's products, teacher, software and children's museum stores).
- Media contact Chris Ahearn, St. Martin's Press, 212-674-5151 ext. 506.
COMMENTS ABOUT DR. TOY'S SMART PLAY
- Dr. Stevanne Auerbach really understands children, play and toys. This book is a wonderful resource for parents, teachers and everyone who works and plays with children.
Michael B. Rothenberg, MD.
Professor Emeritus Psychiatry & Behavioral Sciences and Pediatrics
University of Washington, School of Medicine
Co-author, Dr. Spock's Baby and Child Care( 1985, 1992)
- Dr. Toy's Smart Play is a very comprehensive book, easy to read for parents and very useful for professionals. Beyond the use of toys and play I would celebrate the attention Dr. Toy gives to family relationships of children's quality of life turning parents into "Play Tutors"-the play guardians of their children.
Nilda G. Cosco
Buenos Aires, Argentina
- Dr. Toy's Smart Play is a great guide for anyone searching for the right toy for creative play, building developmental skills or for just plain fun. Its easy to use and well organized. Invaluable!
West Side Kids Toy Store (ASTRA member)
New York City, NY.
- A great resource for this grandma who is always looking for special toys and activities. All children are special and this book addresses this specialness by helping adults appreciate the wonders of play.
San Raphael, CA.
- As a busy working parent this book is useful, practical and a much needed resource. It is well planned, valuable and must have resource to use year after year.
President, Twin Sisters Productions
- Dr. Toy's Smart Play is a remarkable book. Although it is addressed to the parent (a child's first teacher) it will also contribute greatly to the teaching skills of teachers and child care workers. Dr. Auerbach includes an excellent overview of development beginning with infants through age twelve. Her resources are carefully chosen and well documented. As a long time educator I strongly recommend this book. Play is a child's work and Dr. Toy details how a knowledge of and involvement in play can enhance a child's growth in all areas. I urge you to read this important, wonderful and insightful book.
Dr. Betty Halpern
Sonoma State University,CA.
- Smart Play + Smart Parents = Smart Kids. Stevanne Auerbach, Ph.D. writes with the rare power of original analysis. Smart Play is the most significant, thorough and thoughtful book yet for parents wishing to match the right toy to the right stage of their child's early development. Follow Dr. Toy's prescription for a happy and skill building childhood.
Richard C. Levy
Toy Inventor & Author
Inside Santa's Workshop & The Inventor's Desktop Companion
- Even before Frederich Froebel invented the kindergarten and popularized the slogan of "Come, let us live with our children" during the 1840's, philosophers and wise parents recognized the importance of play. Developmental psychologists have emphasized its importance throughout the twentieth century. Recent Scientific discoveries about physical changes in the brain when babies and young children are intellectually stimulated now validate this old idea. We recognize that school readiness begins at birth and that family members are the best possible Play Tutors. There are incredible opportunities, but a lot of confusing alternatives. I'm delighted to know that Dr. Toy's Smart Play will be available to guide parents. It is filled with informed wisdom, inexpensive suggestions and ideas for a lot of fun. Enjoy!
Dorothy W. Hewes, Ph.D.
Department of Child and Family Development
San Diego State University, CA.
- Dr. Auerbach's new book, Dr. Toy's Smart Play, helps parents separate the wheat from the chaff in today's toy market. Research on brain growth and development in early childhood makes clear that stimulating learning experiences are critical in the first five years. This well-researched book shows parents and other care providers how to chose toys with lasting value and educational content and make the most of their children's playthings.
Habitot Children's Museum
- In Dr. Toy's Smart Play Dr. Auerbach draws on her many years of experience as a teacher, child development specialist, parent educator, syndicated columnist, author of books and, of course, parent and grandparent to bring together this inclusive, wise, clear book which provides excellent information based on her thorough understanding of both children and adults.
Early Childhood Care and Education
Wheelock College, Boston, MA.
THE TOY CHEST
A Sourcebook of Toys for Children
Here in one extensive volume is an informative and practical guide to selecting toys plus history of toys in America and interviews with leading experts in the field with many references and resources.
- A limited number of copies available of this outstanding book. This is the only book in the field that covers the whole range of interests in toys from designing, testing,marketing and more.
- Well -illustrated with photos by Grace Warnecke and others. You will find a hundred interviews, insights and information as found no where else.
[ Return to Site Index ]
Comments About The Toy Chest:
Wonderful resource, Entertaining essays. Lengthy lists ....American Library Association
With this book you will never be at a loss for children's gift ideas...Everybody's Money
Dr. Auerbach lessens the confusion...Reaching into this toy chest brings forth loads of
information and practical guidelines... Christian Science Monitor
Dr. Auerbach spent three years evaluating more than 150,000 toys, visiting thousands of showrooms... her book offers practical advice....Good Housekeeping Magazine
Send $20 (check payable to Institute for Childhood Resources) covers postage and handling. Indicate name for autograph.
To: Dr. Toy
Institute for Childhood Resources
268 Bush Street
San Francisco, CA 94104!